Results-driven land therapy programs are developed by licensed physical therapists, to provide guidance, support, and education. Initially, a physical evaluation is performed to address symptoms and determine dysfunction.
Methodology: In a minority of cases, electrical stimulation, ultrasound, and other passive modalities may be used during the early stages of recovery (
“But what if I’m in a lot of pain?”:
In other cases, the initiation of therapy in the pool is necessary to help our more incapacitated patients. Aquatic therapy can minimize pain and allow you to practice better form. Once maximum progress has been achieved in the water, you will progress to a land-based program.
Because the body of knowledge of physical therapy is large, PTs usually specialize in a specific clinical area. While there are many different types of physical therapy, the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties list eight specialist certifications. Physical Therapists are trained to understand general principles, however they also practice under a specialism will have undergone further training.
Physical therapists are also closely involved in the care and well being of athletes. This includes recreational, semi-professional (paid) and professional (full-time employment) participants. This area of practice encompasses athletic injury management under 5 main categories:
- acute care – assessment and diagnosis of an initial injury;
- treatment – application of specialist advice and techniques to encourage healing;
- rehabilitation – progressive management for full return to sport;
- prevention – identification and address of deficiencies known to directly result in, or act as precursors to injury, such as movement assessment
- education – sharing of specialist knowledge to individual athletes, teams or clubs to assist in prevention or management of injuryPhysical therapists who work for professional sport teams often have a specialized sports certification issued through their national registering organisation. Most Physical therapists who practice in a sporting environment are also active in collaborative sports medicine programs too.
*The most important goal for all patients is to increase functional ability(ies).*